To comply with the requirements of the Road Traffic Act, anyone giving driving instruction for money or money's worth must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) as an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) or hold a current 'licence to give instruction'.
The Register of ADI's has been in existence for more than 40 years and in that time, there has been considerable changes to the structure of the exam and the standards required for entry to the Register. Today more than ever the standard required by a trainee driving instructor to qualify and remain on the register is high.
Essential requirements to become an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI)
To become an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) you must:
- Be over the age of 21
- Hold a full UK or European Union (EU)/ European Economic Area (EAA) unrestricted car driving licence
- Have held the licence for a total of at least four out of the six years prior to entering the Register after qualifying
- Not have been disqualified from driving at any time in the four years prior to being entered in the Register
- Be a 'fit and proper' person to have your name entered on the Register. All spent and unspent convictions, both motoring and non-motoring, are taken into account when your application is assessed by the DVSA. This includes fixed penalty offences such as speeding
- Pass the DVSA qualifying exams: ADI Part 1 Theory, ADI Part 2 Driving Ability, ADI Part 3 Teaching Ability
Criminal history checks are now made on all applicants for the Register and on existing ADI's when they re-register.
How to obtain your DBS Check and apply to go on the ADI Register
All potential driving instructor trainees are required to do an industry specific DBS Check (formerly known as the CRB check) and complete an application to the DVSA for the ADI register. We recommend that this be completed as soon as possible because without it you cannot book your Part 1 test which can slow down your progress.
The procedure is easy to do through online forms. First to obtain your DBS please visit the link below:
You will require the following information:
Organisation PIN: 105205
Secret word: axis
Organisation name: DVSA – PDI (PO)
Once you have completed the form you will be required to print off your application form and take this along with your ID to a Post Office which offers the CRB and ID verification service. You will need to supply 3 original forms of ID (not copies). These can be:
- Your passport
- Your driving licence
- A utility bill that’s less than 3 months old
- A bank statement that’s less than 3 months old
The service costs £6
Once you receive your DBS certificate through the post you are then required to complete your DVSA registration onto the ADI Register. The form can be found by visiting the link below:
Once the DVSA have processed your application you will be sent a letter with your Personal Reference Number (PRN) which is unique to you. This is the number you will need when booking your DVSA qualifying tests and dealing with any correspondence from the DVSA.
Apply today to start your driving instructor training with Driving Unlimited:
To apply for our driving instructor training, please complete your information below and a member of our team will be in touch to provide you with our Driving Instructor Trainee Starter Pack, which includes information on our training course, the ADI qualification process, our entrance assessments and a free Highway Code.